Thursday, January 28, 2010

Ok, present time...


Laney is snoozing on Mike's lap. My reasoning for making this blog is to keep everyone updated as well as keep my head straight because days are running together and treatments and doctors..arrrgg!!

So, last night, Delaney was put on oxygen - 1/2 L, at some time during the night they bumped it down to .3. She did great. Gayle, our Respiratory Therapist for the day came in and said she sounded better than yesterday morning. We decided to forego her albuterol treatment this morning because she was sounding good. We were also able to take her off the oxygen, but within 10 minutes, she landed herself back on.

On Wednesday evening, she also spiked a fever of 101.8. By 5am, it was back to normal. Since 5am though, she's been running around a 99.8.

The NP, Jen, just left. They are concerned about her fever. Unfortunately during this conversation, I basically "checked out" after the words spinal tap, meningitits, and antibiotics were thrown out. I guess I have a new worst nightmare, and well it includes the words meningitis and spinal tap. REALLY??? How in the world can my precious perfect baby be so sick?????


Then the on call ped came in, agreed with me that we watch her and wait for her blood cultures to come back (I guess I forgot to mention that they drew blood for a 24 and 48 hour culture this morning around 4:30 - and I wasn't allowed to hold her during it. My little girl is a trooper though and was content as long as the assistant rubbed her head during the whole process). I just want my little girl better and home and my family back together. This is hell, absolute hell.


Around 12, she got another albuterol treatment and took a bit over an ounce by syringe. I'm desperately trying to ward off IV fluids, but I JUST WANT HER TO NURSE!!!! This is not how I ever, in my wildest and most terrible dreams, imagined that our first weeks would be spent. Get better baby girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(FOR FACEBOOK FOLLOWERS - This hospital has facebook and the mommies network (and babyzone and babycenter and mothering, etc, etc, etc) blocked here. I can sometimes access it through my phone, but that's a big sometimes so all future updates will be here)

4 comments:

  1. Hey Amanda ~ its Cathy... We are keeping you guys in our prayers.. thank you for keeping us updated on Laney.. God will give you and Mike the strength to get through these tough times. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, hon. I'm so sorry you're all going through this. Keep focused on today and just try to keep your head above water until the crisis passes.

    If you can protect your milk supply through regular pumping while Laney is too sick to nurse, you'll be in a good position to resume a smooth breastfeeding relationship when she's better. I'm so glad you can be with her lots and lots and that she can get your milk by syringe for now.

    Thank you for creating this blog. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're praying for you and that sweet little girl... along with Mike and the boys. You're doing a wonderful job ---- you're a fantastic Mom to all of your little ones. I'm so proud of you! Love you all :)
    Rene'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Amanda & Mike I'm so sorry your precious baby girl is so sick right now. You couldn't be in a better place for treatment. We know several people on staff, they all care very much about the babies & kids and will treat her as their own. We've had 4 stays at the hospital so I know how scarey it is. You will pretty much remain in a haze through all this, as you will not be eating or sleeping properly. Please let us (CPM) know what we can do to help, if you need help with the boys, food or anything brought to the hospital, etc...we are here for you! Love, Hugs and Lots of Prayers coming your way!!

    ReplyDelete